Monday, January 26, 2009

passengers pt 2

It is midnight 30, and we have been at work since 11am. The CSM wants to get home and so we are rushing through all the things it takes for us to ‘Turn and Burn’. First we refuel, then drop our passengers and finally go and get a to go plate from the DFAC. I select finger food, things that don’t require forks or spoons. Mini-pizzas and jalapeƱo poppers are not the greatest food for a long night of work but the calories will burn.
The trucks are turned around and ready to roll in 45 minutes, amazing how things move faster when the big boss is watching. SSG Moto has two big challenges for the ride home. The first is that he has to do everything exactly according to the battalion rules, the man who signed off on them is watching. That is easy, we normally follow almost all of the rules. The second issue is harder. By the rules he is the Convoy Commander, the absolute authority on all things that happen on the mission. For this mission he has four people who are his bosses, bosses, bosses boss.
Moto takes an interesting tack to this issue, he makes two Lieutenant Colonels and one of the Sergeants Major into just additional vehicle commander. There is no question, no conversation about his choice, he simply does it. Our own BC takes it well, actually seems to enjoy himself. An armor officer commands a tank long after his peers in other branches have been consigned to offices and command posts.
CSM Snarf will ride in the 2 truck with SGT Linebacker. A pity for him. After the ritual pre-mission re-brief the BC steps up and tells us what happened on his way up when another squad rolled over an anti-tank mine. The information is useful. Not to be up staged CSM Snarf steps up.
“Do you all know what Positive ID is?” He asks.
I am standing near the back, a cigarette hanging from my lips and a steaming cup of coffee in my hands. The crews from the other Battalion Commander and Command Sergeant Major are to my left and right. They are from a support battalion. The LT standing next to me looks like he should be playing professional football, the model image of a soldier. I am sure that he is mostly useless, as no one can look that way and be able to perform. It takes me half a second to decide to take the hit.
“You know the fucker is trying to kill you before you make him a meat bag.”
CSM Snarf knows me by the sound of my voice. And is a little startled at my eloquent turn of a phrase. The LT takes an half step to the sided, as I take another pull on the smoke.
“I want you gunners to make absolutely sure you have Positive Identification before you pull the trigger. Nothing could be worse than you pulling the trigger on the wrong thing. Make absolutely sure you have PID before you fire.” Snarf says.
This is such incredible bull shit. The words may sound like a good reiteration of ROE, but what the PFC or SPC hears is “Don’t pull the trigger. Don’t pull the trigger. If you pull the trigger and are wrong I will stake you out in front of the bus then ensure it backs over you after it runs you over.”
Moto waits a second, to see if he is done then repeats the order of march and tells us to get on the trucks.
Walking away I am walking with PFC Airborne, just back from leave. I look at him and say, “Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.” He looks at me and offers up a fist for a fist bump, before we split off to our trucks. I look back to see the BC walking behind us. He barely nods and heads to his truck. I climb up the hood of my truck and slip into the turret. I pull on the wool cap, balaclava, gloves, and snuck them all into position. I turn on the tunes playing in my left ear, and then settle head set and helmet over my head. I lock and load rolling out of the gate. Weapons on amber my sweet ass.
It would be a long ride home.

1 comment:

bigD said...

Hi Pinball,
Is this Groundhog Day Iraq style?
Is this Groundhog Day Iraq Style?

Like the "turn and burn." When I used to be a pediatric transport nurse, we called it "swoop & scoop!"
Different mission with the same concept. When I used to work 12 hour shifts as a nurse, I would always bring finger foods, stuff to grab as I ran from patient to patient. We were often so busy we would never get our meal breaks, so if we didn't have food to eat on the run, we would get very hungry!

The PID story provides interesting insight into the BS that you guys have to go through...I like your answer to the question though! Shades of the Mortality story coming right back at you. I really don't know how you guys make these decisions as you are damned if you do and damned if you don't...a quite unenviable quandry, with your life and the lives of your buddies hanging in the balance. Why doesn't CSM Snarf take a turn up in the gun turret if he knows so much, huh??
At the very least, you will have fun driving the bus back and forth over his smarmy arse when he screws up. Take care Pinball.