Friday, October 31, 2008

Freedom pt 3

Who knew so much could happen during a four day pass? As I am borrowing a sport coat from the hotel and getting dressed for the previously mentioned glorious dinner a drunken voice barks out from down the hall. “Sergeant Pinball you look dope!” I flinch It would appear that SGT Nord and crew to include PV2 SPQR have found me. I thought I had left them at the Holiday Inn… no such luck.
As we part from my path to high society and fine dinning, we now take up the narrative of the other members of the company. SSGs Moto and Caine in their best siamese twin impersonation have picked up their significant others and headed for Chi-town. SGT Dragon, after brutalizing a room of enlisted men (mess with the well yoked SGT Nord at your own risk) has headed home to fiancé and children. SPC Bongo is most likely fully inside the nearest bottle, at least he is a happy drunk. The only report we get about the Brothers SSG is when SGT Nighthawk, fully three sheets to the wind and listing thirty degrees sees them at the top of the Sears Tower, the shuffle their SOs off as quickly as possible.
The Nord crew with their underage drivers (If there is one injustice in the US it is that you can be a soldier at 18 but can’t drink until 21. If you can do the deed you should be able to numb the pain.) hit every mixed age drinking establishment they can.
I have seen the video, I have some of the pictures, I still am amazed at the events that unfolded in a room at the wyndham. About the time I was contemplating the benefits of liquid nitrogen and Japanese beef the party got really started.
I can only confirm that the main even involved two exotic dancers, lets be honest here strippers, a large volume of alcohol, PV2 SPQR, and a facsimile of male genitalia mounted on a plug-into-the-wall power drill. At least he was wearing his army approved eye protection. That would be the other extreme of making memories. It is also a good way to get $400 dollar cleaning charge on your room. All things considered my evening was less expensive.
The last day of the pass I packed up rather early and headed back to base. PFC Tooth, hung over and passed out beside I managed to forget the whole toll road thing. I wonder if they will bill the rental car company for the tolls? Once I am in the company area, my bags dropped and a short nap taken I am asked to sign in.
Not just ‘no’ but ‘HELL NO!’ I explain to 1SG Goggles that I was born, and I was around yesterday but I was not born yesterday.
He is understanding, CSM Santa Gives me grief, I smile, execute a ‘Yes Sergeant Major’ and exit the building. My pass lasts until 2359 on the last day of the pass. As long as I am present and ready for duty at first formation I am clear until midnight. Before they realize that I am gone I am down sitting down behind a pint of Samuel Adams at the on post bar, still in civilian clothes.
SFC Redneck and SFC Lightfighter are there. I vow to hide behind their 14 pay grades if questioned. The scouts sit down moments later. Pitchers are bought and pizza eaten. I get to meat Lightfighter’s wife, a wonderful woman who had a few choice words to say about Family Readiness Group. SGT Trackstar and SFC Caine and wife join us later.
I drink like it is my last beer for a year… because it is. PFC Why, looking all civilian and crap dances it up on the dance floor. While I meet Doc Mom’s husband. Sending your wife off with a hundred and fifty men has got to be a challenge.
At 2300 I stagger to the bus. At 2315 I stagger off the bus, smelling like a brewery and able to walk a straight line with a little help and a lot of luck. I pull myself together and march up the steps of the CP. My signature looks like my normal scribble. I try not to burp in the 1sg’s face, turn around and walk out.
Exiting the CP the First Sergeant reminds me that all contraband must be disposed of prior to midnight. Just a friendly reminder.
The disposal committee is waiting for me at the door. I have two small bottles and a wine sized bottle of local beer. CPL Methuselah, SGT Dragon, and others gather around and help me out. With the world spinning around my head I execute a perfect face plant into my rack and promptly pass out. A good way to end a pass.

No comments: